Sunday, February 19, 2012

Peanuts, Popcorn, Crack-er Jacks

Week 1 has come and gone. Week 2 is about to begin. I filled you all in on the drive to Bakersfield so here's the first post on my time here.

We'll start with last Friday only because I forgot to mention that when I went by the ballpark to tour the stadium I just happened to get to tour the clubhouse and Ken Griffey's office. Haha. Of course he wasn't there but, I was still in his office.

Anyway, first weekend in Bakersfield Mom and I did alot of shopping. I mean, I had an apartment to furnish. Here are a few pics. I'm sure most of you have seen them on Facebook but, here we go again.

Side note, I'm watching The Voice right now and the GPS in the car Carson is driving sounds just like mine. She got named Honey on this trip because we were constantly calling her honey.

Here's the pictures of my sweet little apartment. Hope you enjoy!


Kitchen & Dining Area

 Bathroom


 Bedroom. I'm still working on it. Come on, all I do is sleep there anyway. It'll get done when it gets done. My closet is organized at least. Makes my life easier.

What else. The living room. you got that pic in the last post but here's a different one for you.


And yes, that's a baseball scentsy and a vase full of baseballs. Had to do something with the dozen baseballs I found in random boxes while I was unpacking. Only three of them have autographs, and a few have a story. The rest of them. Not a clue why I have them.

And now to week 1 as the Food and Beverage Director of the Bakersfield Blaze.


Well, I have an office. No picture of my office sorry, didn't think to take one. I've got a desk, and my very own computer. A really comfortable chair and chairs for two visitors. I also have the office refrigerator and snacks. I do not have the nacho cheese dispenser or the coffee maker. Yes, I said nacho cheese dispenser, we keep one in the office. 

Life is pretty sweet sometimes.

Well, besides the fact that I get to make too many decisions. I mean, I have to make decisions on important things like, what kind of hot dogs the concession stand it going to serve this season. What kind of beer we're going to sell. Two really important things when it comes to concessions at a sports venue. I don't even have a food supplier yet. It's down to two companies but, I'm not sure which direction to go. It might be a little easier if either one of the Sales Reps looked like Luke (if you haven't heard about Luke, ask the girls at the tearoom about him, he's pretty) Anyway, I've gotta get down to business making all these choices, the season is going to start too soon. I also have to clean up the concession stand (which I can get the interns on) and figure out a menu.

Some days it gets a little, well, more like alot overwhelming, and I have my, why did they hire this small town kid who has never worked in concessions moments, but someone will say something to reassure me without even knowing they've done it.

So all in all I have to pick a food supplier, they need to get back to me with prices. I'm working on Cotton Candy, they haven't sold it the past couple years. I've got the peanut situation under control, with a sponsorship, go Julie. I've got it down to 2 different brand of hot dogs. I have a meeting with the Bud guy next week. I've got to call the Ice Cream guy, the Pepsi man, the Sara Lee bread guy, and call the Coors man again. I'm getting free plastic beer cups from this cool company called Concession Cups, you can check them out at www.ConcessionCups.com

What have I forgotten... Oh, I wanted something sweet the other night and the easiest cookie in the world to make is the 1 egg, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of peanut butter, peanut butter cookie (if you sprinkle in just a little flour they turn out even better). Anyway, I didn't want as many cookies as it made just laying around in my apartment so I took some to work, never had so many compliments on a cookie. Come on people, I'm pretty sure anyone can make this cookie. Then, the other night I took some sinus medicine hoping it would clear out my sinuses and put me to sleep. Sadly, it left me wired so I made my Grandma's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. I think they could've been better, Grandma's seem to taste better, maybe that's because she makes them but, they were a hit. Now, I'm making Banana Nut Muffins, the boys in the office jokingly requested Banana Bread, I'm more than happy to bake for someone, I'm bored. And, if I keep them in baked goods, I'm pretty sure I won't have to buy myself lunch. I haven't had to yet.

If you want to find out more about the Front Office you can check everyone out at www.BakersfieldBlaze.com on the About Us tab there's a Front Office section, if you click on any name you'll get a profile for that person. Everyone's there but me and Eric. Eric's the Director of Grounds & Operations. Don't see him much, he always seems to be in the shed or on the field. And, well, my name will end up on it. Just emailed Dan my profile, well some stuff, we'll see he does with it, and frankly, the longer my name stays off the website, the longer I have to make decisions without the Boosters making requests. Like me putting spaghetti on the menu. Who eats spaghetti at the ballpark? And seriously, thank God, it was just my first week or I really would've had to go to a Booster meeting this week. Luckily, Phillip felt where I was coming from and didn't want to throw me to the sharks after only being here 4 days.

I think its going to be tons of fun, but it'll be alot of work too. Its all gravy. I'll get it under control. I hope. Maybe once I figure out what all these keys are for.

Why in the world do I need keys to everything? Its not like they're going to leave me at Sam Lynn by myself. Even if they thought about it, I'm smart enough to make sure one of the guys will be there if I have to stay late. I'm sure I can always offer them some food to keep me company if I have to.

The U-verse guy also finally came out this weekend and hooked me up. Great that he was some nice, normal, all-American looking dude. Helpful, not creepy at all. I was worried it would be some creepy old guy coming to set my cable up.

Guess that's all. Any questions, just ask. Thanks for reading. If anything crazy happens I'll let you know.

Keepin' It Country tonight. lol. I'm cooking chicken fried steak for dinner. :)


1 comment:

  1. OMG, a nacho cheese dispenser?? That would be bad news for me. In a really, really good way, haha.

    ReplyDelete